Because it's way too draconian. Why do I have to have an open ID to comment? Why do I have to be logged in if I want to comment? Why do you log an IP for comments? And why can't you have rendered html tags in the comment? What are you afraid of? Why not let everyone post?
That's why I don't comment... or I would.
Friday, August 1, 2008
Why I don't post comments on your blog
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
who are you talking to?
Probably me.
Well, I have to log in to yours, so I don't quite see the problem.
As far as the HTML thing, that's a limitation of the provider. Nothing I can do man. Like I've said before... you can cut n past the old style way. I've done it on other friends blogs.
And additionally, the IP address tracking is a security feature, since there are folks out in the internetty world who live up to the "Greater Internet Dickwad Theory"... present company excluded, but trolls do exist.
Spammers exist too, and the ip address helps to block toxic commenters.
Perhaps you should read this... given your statement of things being to "draconian":
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/magazine/03trolls-t.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=trolling&st=cse&oref=slogin
I know what a troll is. Shouldn't you have problems with trolls before you take counter measures? Methinks you are under the radar.
And speaking of spammers, the last thing I want to do is enter my password in a link from another site, that takes you to another link to enter again. Or ask for it when I'm already signed in. Especially if my IP has been logged. No thanks.
Hrm... as far as having problems with trolls and being under the radar... so then following that logic (i.e. have an actual problem with trolls before taking action...) should I install a burglar alarm after my house has already been broken into and all of my things been stolen? Forewarned is four-armed.
Concerning spam: My old blogspot profile actually got hit with this quite frequently. Psuedo comments posted into it with links to bogus websites that would try to force spambots in unreported downloads.
As far as logging into something that logs you into something else, there's always the anonymous option.
On the other side, looking at the openID list, all login options associated with this are commercial companies that would have it in their vested interest to make sure that that login information is kept strictly within their customerbase. You might want to read the EULA info for each of these since they are much more likely to affect your online rights than I am.
And finally about the IP address... your IP address info is readily available from sources like IANA or using any number of widely available internet tools.
http://whois.domaintools.com/
for example.
Anonymity is both a blessing and a curse. If you want to maintain a low profile on the internet, look into things like TOR (the onion router) or paranoid linux. However, at the same time, to participate in the idea of conversation & community that blogs and forums are supposed to encompass... you're going to need to make your presence known.
Almost any dicussion thread on any commercial site requires a login of some sort, and probably tracks IP address information, but doesn't necessarily make it known that they're doing this. LJ gives me the option to let you know that this is indeed being done.
To follow this idea of not wanting to login, and having misgivings about your IP address being charted on a post, in the metaphor of conversation, it seems to me that you're basically wanting to shout things from your room to participate in the conversation taking place in my room.
Blogspot is actually one of the worst places for spambots to attack, "under the radar" or not. I used to have a blog spot account and ended up cancelling it because the spam was so thick that I spent more time deleting fake posts than anything else (that, and I rarely posted anything anyway).
I'm surprised this blog hasn't been hit yet, but maybe they've increased their measures in the last few years. Or you've kept your page from showing up on Blogger searches.
That said, the open ID thing is pretty annoying. I installed Disqus on my page (Tumblr doesn't provide for comments), but login isn't required to ID yourself. If you do sign up, though, you can log your e-mail, and anytime you sign a comment with that addy it will automitically post under your ID.
But I don't think anyone really does that. I wouldn't.
I assume that any site like this gets your IP address, including Blogspot. I don't really see what's so surprising about it.
LJ seems like more of a community based blog (like Tumblr, with less ADD), geared toward conversations between fellow LJ'ers. I signed up for an OpenID, but I can't ever remember my log in, so I do appreciate that your blog allows me to just type my name and be done with it.
Post a Comment