Monday, October 27, 2008

Left-Eye Sight - a mix

Since my left eye sees the past, I thought I'd turn it's gaze on youtube.
The Ocean Blue - Ballerina Out of Control

The Ocean Blue is a mix between The Smiths and XTC. Andy Partridge had better lyrics, Morresy had better angst. These guys were a guilty pleasure cuz I knew they weren't cool, just college-band angsty. Especially driving around downtown late at night before Bricktown was built over the ashes of the angst-heaven of dark, empty streets and boarded-up buildings.

NWA - Boys in tha Hood

Easy muthafukin E. Dr Dre, Ice Cube and Yella. Back then, I was a boring, suburban, white kid givin those beats my doe and identifying more with them than I did the kids in my hood. Now Easy's dead from the bug and Cube is doing boring, suburban, white movies identifying with the lifestyle I rebelled against by listening to NWA.

Rocky Horror- Time Warp (again)

By far, I've done the timewarp more than any other named dance ever. I've done the timewarp in my underwear more than maybe I want to admit, but at least I know I can fill it out better than Barry Bostwick. I'd like to say that I wish I had all that money back that I spent on seeing that movie, but I never paid to get in. Man I miss those people sometimes.
It's just a jump to the far left.

Dead Milkmen - I Walk the Thinnest Line

It was dark and scared the squares, so I liked it. Still do.

Smashing Pumpkins - Hummer

I lasered a groove in this track I played it so much. This was a favorite when made the turn north on Clines Corner which marked my favorite leg of my favorite road-trip. Ow! My nostalgia!

Jane's Addiction - Stop

Not that anything is too personal to post, it was a toss-up between this and Porno for Pyro's "Pets". The latter has more personal meaning for me just from when, not what. This was first, which is the only reason it made the cut and it's apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned. Hello, hearing-loss.

Cab Calloway - Minnie the Moocher

I used to speak the language of big-band jazz. It wasn't all about the rock. This version is the one I grew up with, and grew to love... which is great cuz it's still Cab Calloway. With the bonus of my hero, Tom "Bones" Malone wailin on the destructo-machine.

XTC - Summer's Cauldron
I can listen to it any time, but a late afternoon in July always makes it taste better.

No comments: