Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mulling over the mechanics of safety pins

In my pursuit of the Total Perspective Vortex, I've been admiring the self-regulation ability of candles. The flame burns off the tip of the wick if it's too far up to draw wax, keeping the flame from getting so big it melts the entire candle. If the flame gets to where a lot of wax melts, the level of liquid wax raises on the wick, making the flame smaller which limits its heat and stops adding to the wax pool. In turn, that keeps the melted wax from snuffing the flame. Hmmmm.
I sure hope coffee works well as a Brownian Motion calculator. I'm not that big a fan of tea. Oh wait. That's the Infinite Improbability generator. The Vortex requires cake as an extrapolator. In theory, anyway. Meanwhile, the dust-speck remains insignificant and without a sense of proportion.

No comments: