Thursday, June 4, 2009

Holmes in the House

I've never watched House. I am a big fan of Sherlock Holmes, and I've been informed that the title character Dr. Gregory House is based off him. He is even played by a British actor, Hugh Laurie.
Dr. House lives in apt. 221B. His only true friend is Dr. James Wilson. Wilson, Watson. House, Holmes (homes). Hmmm. According to wiki, "both House and Holmes are forensic geniuses, musicians, drug users, aloof, and largely friendless."
As a precedent, I enjoyed Frazier not only because it was a spin-off of Cheers, but because I was already a fan of the Jack Benny show (I had eclectic tastes when I was younger. Not like now at all) and could see clearly that Frazier was a modern rework from the characters down to the signature Benny "cheek-take."
With a new Sherlock Holmes movie coming soon and several seasons of House to take in, I hope to enjoy months to come of Arthur Conan Doyle-inspired non-canon.

2 comments:

kev said...

House is a very good show, but the Holmes inspiration falls away pretty quicly as Laurie and the writers make the character their own. My favorite season was last, when he spent most of the season auditioning a new staff.

Anonymous said...

If you get a chance, look for Neil Gaimon's latest collection of short stories. There is a piece there that was commissioned. It is a tribute to both Lovecraft and Doyle. Short and sweet and something that could be read in a bookstore so you don't have to buy the whole book.