In one of my college design classes with Dr. Jim Watson back in the day, there was an assignment that I remember spending a lot of time on. It was an ambigram of my name. I know that my brain is wired for shape (D's in math, A's in Geometry) and I found the assignment enjoyable, even though my solution was far from professional. Now I am a professional and Dr. Watson's Blog has a nice section on ambigrams so I thought I'd give it another go. The assignment points out that doing ambigrams as a practice will:
• Enhance creative problem solving skills.
• Explore letterform relationships: see letterforms as shapes to be manipulated and abused.
• Appreciate the complexity of alphabet letterforms.
• Determine appropriate and pleasing layout compositions.
So with that in mind, and with the knowledge that printer and patriot Ben Franklin used to do Magic Squares just for fun, I came up with this solution:
I did it for fun and practice so I did not follow all the specs but it only took me about 30 minutes. That's a fraction of the time I spent on the original assignment and my present solution is far FAR more fleshed and serious. Dare I say "Professional?" Whatever it was, it was a welcome distraction to the slog of wading through code that I have been doing for the last 3 days. What's extra fun is looking at the completed piece, I can see a possible solution of making all 6 letters the same shape just rotated and mirrored while retaining readability. Abuse that letterform. ABUSE IT!
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Exercise in Utility -or- MadamimadaM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That's awesome.
Very cool. It's stuff like this that reminds me how much I'm NOT a designer.
Post a Comment