Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean the gubment's not pinging you.

I've been trying to diagnose a recent problem with web-related stuff, specifically how flash websites get buggy in all my browsers. Since I do flash sites in my business, it's an important issue for me to correct.
I tried to find (and continue to watch for) some malicious something-or-other operating in the background. When activity monitor failed to illuminate that, I went to Network Utility just to dig around. I searched for open ports possibly being used by my machine. When that reported nothing, I used the lookup function to ping my own (default) address and it returned "DOMAIN-REQUEST.AIMS7.army.mil." which paranoided me out of my seat. Upon a google search it lit on this article which says that all macs are infused with "nothing more than a pingback address to an ancient timeserver that is no longer used by Apple’s Firewire drives." If that's true, why does the default mac address also coincide with an army fort that just so happens to house the 111th Military Intelligence Brigade, which trains in electronic intelligence?
Whelp, so now I've inadvertently pinged the military and blogged about it. Even though I've never seen any activity in open ports thru the firewall, I expect to real soon. Guess that'll teach me to dig too deep into my own affairs and equipment.
Hiya, Big Brother. Don't tread on me.

No comments: