Monday, August 3, 2009

Back to the Future.

In my admittedly biased opinion, the best prime-time animated American television show Futurama is set to return with the original cast in 2010. The story from Variety is really badly written, but you can scratch your head at it here. ("Set to bow"???)
Seems the cast was holding out for $70k an episode. The show is great, but no wonder all of television is sprinting as fast as possible towards the reality TV finished line. Jeez.
I seem to remember when Groening was all about the blue collar. Regardless of the payout (which they could have possibly avoided had they never canceled it), I'm happy it will be back.

4 comments:

mitch said...

How much are the Simpson mainstays getting per episode these days?

kev said...

"Set to bow" is an old entertainment term, I think from theatre, referring to a first performance. It gets thrown around a lot in industry articles like this, usually referring to the premiere of a new show.

The article said they settled with the cast for something between 40-70k per episode... is that per actor equally or for the whole cast, I wonder? $250,000 an episode for just the voice acting seems like a lot for a basic cable program, but I may be way behind on what tv costs these days.

Ronin Robot said...

$250,000 for voice, and I would bet the same for everything else. So let's assume (ass me) half-a-million, then run ad-nauseum in syndication. Cartoon Network had Futurama for a while and ran an hour every night. Comedy Central got it and runs an hour 5 nights a week. The same 4 seasons over and over. Some of em are 10 years old. On local TV, crap hour advertising block is $5k monthly... So what's a half-mil for an episode?

kev said...

on IMDBpro it shows The Simpsons with $750,000 per episode. I'd imagine their writers and producers get paid more (though Futurama probably has more expensive animation), so $500,000/ep sounds right for Futurama.

What i could do with that...