Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Skirvin

When I was in my late teens and driving around a deserted downtown and listening to The Cure late at night –when Bricktown only had 2 clubs and 1 streetlight– I've had a fascination with the Skirvin hotel. Not because I thought it was haunted –but because it was a dark, Gothic mass of ancient architecture right where I liked to feel dark and gothic. There was history there you could feel in the air. Especially since it was built when there weren't cars and since it saw the city grow around it.
It was born of an oil boom and died of an oil bust. Nearly a century after the oil boom that birthed it, another oil boom brought it back from the dead.
It was a pleasure to not only see it restored, but to build a virtual representation of it. I tried to keep as much of the excellent brick-work as I could and give it the best representation I was able to, even though this is my first official Google Earth building. It is pending approval at this point, but I have every reason to think it will be accepted. Meanwhile, here's a 2D version of the 3D model.

Addendum: from what I can see, there are only 3 people currently building models for Oklahoma City and exclusively downtown. What's more, I seem to the the only one from the 405. I want to think there's a way to make money off of this, but I'm unsure how. Maybe a few more models and I'll figure it out.

No comments: